Bradley Hills provides multiple opportunities for young people to grow in their Christian faith, build friendships and connect to the wider church, community, and world.
To learn about Upcoming Events and our weekly Activities for Youth, including Youth Group Meetings, click here.
Additional Activities for Youth:
- Youth Group
- Confirmation Classes
- Worship Leadership
- Summer Mission Trips
- Youth Service Opportunities
Youth Group on Sundays:
Every Sunday from 12:00 to 1:30 pm from September through May, the youth gather for recreation, team building activities, and faith formation discussion.
Additionally, Youth Group activities might include off-site mission projects. We’ve built a stone path at Congressional Cemetery, visited Poplar Springs Animal Sanctuary in Poolsville and helped care for the animals, and helped with the National Center for Children and Families (NCCF) Block Party.
We also host regular social events such as bowling, movie nights, pizza parties, and game nights.
For Grades 8 & 9/Not Yet Confirmed Senior High Youth
Youth will explore the Christian faith and what it means to be a Presbyterian. In addition, each youth is paired with a “confirmand partner,” which is an adult member of the congregation who serves as a sounding board for grappling with faith questions. Confirmand partners meet individually with their youth partners at mutually agreed-upon times. They also meet together with the entire class several times during the year. Confirmation classes are offered every other year, and the next class will take place during the 2019-2020 program year.
On Their Own, Confirmands:
- Participate in weekly classes at 9:15 AM on Sundays
- Attend worship and complete “worship worksheets”
- Attend a fall and spring retreat
- Examine and consider the Presbyterian Brief Statement of Faith
- Complete a program of Bible reading of their own choice
With Covenant Partners, Confirmands:
- Participate in ministry within the church (ushers, music, chancel guild, communion prep, lay reader, home communion)
- Participate in ministry outside of the church (individual mission projects)
- Compose a personal statement of faith
- Are presented to session/congregation
Every year the youth group is responsible for organizing events to help raise funds for their summer trips. These events include:
- Chili Cook-Off and Bingo Night: Youth set up for the event, act as Bingo callers and ticket takers, serve people, and clean up.
- Parents’ Afternoon Out: Youth provide baby-sitting and activities for children, supervising children in three areas: movies, playing games/telling stories, and guiding children in arts and crafts. They also serve the children dinner.
- Lenten Pancake Lunch: Youth help with the lunch by setting up, making pancakes and cleaning up.
Every summer, BHPC youth are invited to participate in trips that help strengthen their faith and friendships. In Summer 2019 youth will have the opportunity to visit:
- Broad Street Ministry: (June 16-22, 2019) High School Mission Trip to Philadelphia, PA where we will work with BSM staff to practice “radical hospitality” for individuals experiencing homelessness.
- Massanetta Springs: (July 7-12, 2019) Middle School Mission Trip + Retreat in Harrisonburg, VA. Mission component includes age-appropriate service projects in rural Virginia. Two days of mission work are followed by a conference crafted with middle schoolers in mind. Activities like keynote, recreation, small group, games, discussions, and workshops to help middles schoolers grow closer to God and each other.
- Montreat: (July 7-13, 2019) High School Retreat in Montreat, NC. A unique gathering of Presbyterian youth from across the country for a week of worship and recreation.
Youth Service Opportunities:
There are many ways for youth to help and get involved at Bradley Hills by helping both the church family and the wider community. Contact the Director of Children Education, Matt Nabinger at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding how to obtain student service learning (SSL) hours for community service.